I do not want a mentor, only a friend to keep me accountable. I do not feel like a mentor would help me right now because I want to think on my own. People lose their devotion to good when no one is their. I am really having problems with becoming a better person right now because I have no accountability.
2 comments:
Not sure what you mean here. Sometimes time wears away people's excuses, but could also make them cynical/hopeless or calloused.
A solitary search can be very beneficial. Jesus walked this lonesome valley...nobody else could/can walk it for him/you...
But also, we are not designed to be solitary creatures, and form our identity in the context of a social network.
You seem to be on a "heroes journey", looking for a trusted mentor. How about reading Joe Campbell's "Hero with a Thousand Faces" or watching a fascinating interview series he did with Bill Moyers? (his work formed much of the mythological themes in G Lucas' Star Wars)
It can be very hard to grow without others to encourage you. Paul's letters talk about how we're all members of the body of Christ, and we all need each other. I will pray for you to find a friend to keep you accountable, but remember that far more effective to help you grow than other people is God Himself - He speaks to you by the Holy Spirit in His word (read John 14 and 15). It is a very precious thing that Christ says to those who follow Him "I have called you friends."
Post a Comment